Thursday, April 16, 2009

Public Library Lunch Group

We walked over to the mall across the street from the conference center to have lunch (very nice mall by the way). After finally getting my food, I was fascinated to hear some of the stories about the other public libraries using Koha and migrating to Koha.

I talked with two ladies from East Brunswick Public Library and was fascinated to hear very similar concerns to our own. They are currently using Horizon 7.4 and plan to go live on Koha in May (?). They mentioned that they plan to use Horizon to do cataloging and acquisitions since they found it difficult to currently use Koha to perform these tasks.

Several people at the table also expressed concerns about not knowing what all these different vendors were doing and how do we know we are all not paying for the same feature? We would like the vendors to communicate more with the community in terms of what features are being developed.

4 comments:

  1. why is the vendor in question not notifying the community of their work? Would that not suffice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know of any vendor at the moment that is really doing a good job of notifying the community of their work. I like what Liblime has done with the development exchange, but if I am not mistaken that is only helpful for Liblime clients.

    How can we see what PTFS is doing? Or BibLibre? Or the many other vendors that are now supporting and doing development for Koha?

    I am happy that they eventually share the code with the community, but it would really be nice to have a central place for them to all list the features they are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Dev Exchange is a good start, but I'm not sure how frequently it gets updated. I, too, have concerns about duplicate projects, especially after seeing the plans for 3.2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure hope that the discussion on Friday about using Bugzilla to track "enhancements" will help everyone. I also believe that KUDOS may have a strong role in community for information distribution... newsletter/blog entries, lists of current enhancement links - and a number of other things possible. We are limited by what the users can dream up...

    David Schuster

    ReplyDelete